Decision support system based on a mathematical model for traffic problems caused by "great traffic generators"
Head of project at USI: Sergio Albeverio
Starting date: 1 Giugno 2006
Duration: 36 months
- S240 Town and country planning
- P001 Mathematics
- P002 Physics
- Accademia di architettura
- Paolo Giordano - collaboratore
- Alberto Vancheri - collaboratore
- Denise Andrey - collaboratore
Other partners involved:
Amministrazione Cantonale: Sezione Mobilità, Sezione Sviluppo Territoriale, Sezione Protezione Aria Acqua; IFEC Consulenze SA - Rivera; Urbanisti Associati - Locarno
The project "Decision support system based on a mathematical model for traffic problems caused by ´great traffic generators´ (GTG), is an important part of the main project "Supermarkets and other great traffic generators: proposal of strategy" in due course at the Department of Territory of the Canton Ticino, which has the aim to develop some criteria needed for a correct localization of structures with large affluences.
One of the main objective of our project is to develop a mathematical model as a decision support system concerning the management of great traffic generators. The Department of Territory has indeed the demand to take important decisions of territorial planning, or of traffic planning, with the possibility to verify if the adopted strategies will carry out the requested improvements or if they will have the desirable consequences. Without a seriously validated mathematical model in general these decisions are verifiable only once the work is completed.
Some important questions about these type of problems are:
- How to take into account the forecasts of the urban development necessary to estimate the consequences on the traffic after the introduction of a new GTG?
- How to take into account the forecasts of the urban development necessary to estimate the consequences on the pollution or on the induced economic activity?
- A given planning strategy about the management of GTG will they have the desired consequences?
- Are planning decisions stable regarding to several future scenery forecasted by the mathematical model?
- Which are the best localization of a new GTG?
With the mathematical model for the study of the evolution of the territory and the traffic dynamics developed by our research group it is possible to simulate the impact of interventions both from a city-planning point of view and of the traffic planning, and to estimate their consequences on a long period.