The Ideatorio investigates the relationship between science and society and is responsible for disseminating research projects carried out by the Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) and the The University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI). The Science Center developed in cooperation with the School District of Lugano, offers interactive science exhibitions, science summer camps and a biology laboratory for children. Moreover the Ideatorio integrates its activities with Science et Cité, a Swiss foundation created to promote dialogue between science and citizens.
- Focus on research: monographic files presenting research projects in progress in Italophone Switzerland, in particular at Università della Svizzera italiana and at the University of Applied Sciences of Southern Switzerland.
- Science and society: monitoring and analysing the interrelations between citizens, institutions, science, and communication.
- Local and international projects for scientific communication: ranging from attending science festivals to carrying out projects funded by EU Framework Programmes.
- Science center: a project in cooperation with the Schoool District of Lugano to get acquainted with science in an informal way, outside of school. This synergy led to the creation of several activities with the common aim of surprising and arousing the desire to explore and understand our world through simple everyday phenomena.
- Exhibits: interactive science exhibitions are offered on a yearly base in Castagnola.
- Biolab: a biology laboratory designed to suit primary and lower secondary school pupils.
- Science vacations: holiday camps which combine science with fun, free time with curiosity.
- Planetarium / Astronomical Observatory.
- Other activities: laboratories for schools, promotional activities at science festivals.
Regional Coordinator: Dr Giovanni Pellegri
Staff: Michela Carli, Fabio Meliciani, Riccardo Rezzonico, and Michela Luraschi