The final programme for the 27th Summer School in Social Science Methods edition is now available!
Subscribe to our Newsletter to learn about new courses and Summer School events!
Registration: Registrations are NOW OPEN and will close on the 14th of July, 2023.
|Preliminary Workshops||Modality||No. of Places still available||Confirmed||Status||Room|
|10-11 August 2023|
|P. Gruber||Introduction to R and Rstudio||Online||0/27||✓||confirmed||n/a|
|O. Lipps/ U. Kuhn||Introduction to Stata||Online||1/25||✓||confirmed||n/a|
|10-12 August 2023|
|E. Horber||Statistics with SPSS for Social Scientists||Online||1/27||✓||confirmed||n/a|
|11-12 August 2023|
|S. Kernbach||Visual Thinking for PhD Researchers||In presence||2/18||✓||confirmed||Room A21, Red Building|
|14-18 August 2023|
|E. Horber||Multivariate Methods for Social Researchers||In presence||14/27||✓||confirmed||
Room 156 (Computer Lab), Main Building
and Room A11, Red Building
|S. Kernbach||Design Thinking for Research||In presence||9/18||✓||confirmed||Room A21, Red Building|
|J. Drzewiecka||Qualitative Analyses of Interview Data||In presence||0/20||✓||confirmed||Room A31, Red Building|
|E. Davidov/ P. Schmidt||Introduction to Structural Equation Modeling (SEM)||Online||10/25||✓||confirmed||n/a|
|M. Grätz||Causal Analysis with Cross-sectional Data||In presence||5/17||
Room 159 (Computer Lab), Main Building
and Room SI-008, Black Building
|M. Steenbergen||Machine Learning - What Is It Good For?||In presence||12/27||✓||confirmed||Room SI-007, Black Building|
|T. Hills||Using Social Network Analysis to Understand Data||In presence||3/14||✓||confirmed||Room A22, Red Building|
|M. Bergman||Mixed Methods||In presence||8/20||Room SI-006, Black Building|
|W. Przepiorka||Designing and Conducting Social-scientific Experiments||In presence||15/20||
Room 157 (Computer Lab), Main Building
and Room SI-004, Black Building
|L. Balachandran Nair||Conducting a Grounded Theory Study||In presence||6/16||Room A12, Red Building|
|21-25 August 2023|
|M. Gibbert||Qualitative Research Designs||In presence||1/16||✓||confirmed||Room SI-008, Black Building|
|B. Lepori/ A. Rocci||How to Forge Arguments in Writing (Social Sciences) Scientific Papers||In presence||16/27||✓||confirmed||Room SI-007, Black Building|
|R. Samuel||Creating Groups from Data. Cluster Analysis and Latent Class Analysis||In presence||13/27||✓||confirmed||Room SI-006, Black Building|
|K. O'Reilly||Ethnographic methods||In presence||1/16||✓||confirmed||Room A21, Red Building|
|P. Mello||Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA)||In presence||9/27||✓||confirmed||Room A11, Red Building|
|T. Hills||Content Analysis and Natural Language Processing||Online||4/14||n/a|
|V. Mottier||Discourse Theory and Analysis||In presence||1/18||✓||confirmed||Room SI-013, Black Building|
|O. Lipps/ U. Kuhn||Applied Panel Data Analysis||In presence||3/25||✓||confirmed||Room 159 (Computer Lab), Main Building|
|L. Walasek||Web Scraping and Data Mining in R||In presence||4/17||✓||confirmed||
Room SI-003, Black Building
- Note that many workshops have some prerequisites.
- Note that Preliminary workshops have different starting dates.
- All workshops are subject to cancellation until June 16th if there are fewer than 8 (paid) registrations.
The "Confirmed" column shows a tick mark (✔ ) as soon as the corresponding workshop has reached that threshold.
- The workshop application status is based on the number of persons who have applied for a workshop, i.e. conditional applications. Only the payment of the registration fee within three weeks from reception of the invoice confirms the application and makes the registration final.
- If a workshop is marked "Full", it does not necessarily mean that the workshop is confirmed and the minimum number of confirmed participants has been reached; this is particularly true the first few weeks (late January, February) after registration opens. Prospective participants register quickly, but sometimes change plans, cannot raise funds to attend Summer School etc.
- The status will change from "Open" to "Full", if only a few places are left.
Please note that the status may change back to "Open" if registrations are cancelled by the registrant or by us (no payment received despite a reminder e-mail).