Sustainable Natural Resources Governance in the SDGs Era: Responsibilities of States and Investors
Date: 2 October 2020 / 13:30 - 18:15
The USI Institute of Law (IDUSI) organises a webinar on the topic of the responsibility of governments and companies for the sustainable use of natural resources. The event will take place on Friday 2 October 2020, starting at 1.30 pm in online mode (webinar).
The event will be held as part of the 7th Conference of the Committee of the Association of International Law (ILA) on "Sustainable management of natural resources and international law". The Committee, which includes lawyers, academics, industry professionals and representatives of national and international institutions, has the mandate to contribute to the progressive development of the rules of international law on sustainable development and sustainable management of natural resources.
The webinar will consist of two sessions:
1. Natural Resources Governance and Sustainable Development: Latest Trends in International Law
Starting at 1.30 p.m., and after the introductory remarks of - among others - Boas Erez (Rector of USI) and Prof. Ilaria Espa (Institute of Law of USI), the first session of the webinar will consist of two panels:
- 1.45 p.m.: Setting the Context: SDGs, Sustainable Natural Resources Governance and International Law
- 3 p.m.: Regulatory Implications and Implementation Issues
2. Achieving a Just Transition to a Sustainable Economy: Challenges and Opportunities from a Multi-Stakeholder Perspective
The second session will continue with two roundtable discussions:
- 4.30 p.m.: Experiences of States and States' Entities vs. Evidence from Investors' Practice
- 5.15 p.m.: Addressing the Need for Accelerating the Transition in the Energy Community
At 6 p.m., the closing remarks on the subject of Incorporating Feedbacks into the ILA Guidelines for the Role of International Law for Sustainable Natural Resources Management.
All panel discussions will be held in English.
Full programme details are attached.
For further information: [email protected]
To participate in the webinar: https://secure.usi.ch/resconf/reg.php
Registered participants will be sent the Zoom details to join the event closer to the date.