USI Doctoral Mobility
Research and Transfer Service
Submission deadline: 3 April 2023
Submission deadline: 3rd April, 2023
Other 2023 deadline: 2nd October
You have to contact Martina Pestoni at least 2 weeks before each deadline for questions and support.
USI provides support to doctoral students matriculated at the Università della Svizzera italiana who wish to improve their scientific profile by going abroad for a stay of 6-12 months during the PhD.
Financial support covers the additional costs for staying abroad, such as travel and living costs as well as fees for conferences and workshops of up to CHF 20,000. It is not meant to replace the PhD salary.
- applicants must be enrolled as doctoral students at USI but not employed in an ongoing SNSF research project;
- at the time of the submission deadline, applicants have been matriculated as doctoral students at USI for at least twelve months;
- applicants are Swiss nationals / hold a valid Swiss residence (permit B or C) or cross-border commuter permit (permit G) / are married to a Swiss national / co-habit with a Swiss national in a registered partnership;
- the stay abroad must take place within the time-frame of the PhD. Applicants confirm in writing their intention to continue their doctoral studies and obtain their doctorate at USI;
- the selected place of research should not lie in the home country of the applicant (exceptions may be accepted for scientific reasons) and must be different from the place of education (BA and MA in particular).
Applications that meet the formal requirements are evaluated scientifically by the USI Research Commission. Only applications that meet the formal conditions are submitted for scientific evaluation.
The following evaluation criteria are applied:
- The benefit the candidate will gain from the mobility and the added value it will bring to the candidate's doctoral thesis;
- Scientific profile of the candidate, progress of the candidate's doctoral studies;
- Quality of the chosen research location (working conditions, supervision and training possibilities).
Applications for USI mobility grants must be submitted to s[email protected] using the attached application form. The applications must be completed and submitted electronically by the specified deadline.