Innovation and start-ups at USI
While mostly carrying out activities aimed at the development of knowledge, USI actively takes care of their transfer and development, as well as the direct promotion of innovation. USI areas that are most open to transfer and promotion are informatics and biomedicine, but the humanities and social sciences are also active on this front.
Initiatives already developed include in particular:
- the USI Startup Centre, which supports and has supported the creation of around 60 startup companies;
- the Technology Transfer Office for the evaluation of the innovative potential of scientific results and options for protection;
- Humabs, a successful spin-off created by the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB) in 2004 and now part of Vir Biotechnology (U.S.A.);
- the Center for Computational Medicine in Cardiology which, in joint collaboration with Cardiocentro Ticino, develops new diagnostic and therapeutic techniques based on computer simulations;
- Il Litorale, an initiative to enable greater permeability between the entrepreneurial and academic worlds and society, supporting regional growth;
- numerous applied studies, including student field projects and other applications of academic research;
- sectoral analyses to support companies and institutions, for example in the field of public services;
- a series of advanced educational programs at the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences for biotechnology and medical technology entrepreneurs, coordinated by CASE BioMed;
- the encouragement of entrepreneurship with the Start-up Training programme of Innosuisse, coordinated by USI, SUPSI and CP-Start-up in Ticino;
- the participation in the activities of the Agire Foundation.
- the collaboration of the Italian Institute of Studies with the cultural industry to promote funds, collections and artworks for the benefit of the public.