Tuition and scholarships - Bachelor programmes
Tuition fees amount to CHF 4,000 per semester. For students whose official residence was in Switzerland, or in Liechtenstein at the time of the final high school exam (Maturità) the fees are of CHF 2,000.
Tuition fees are payable at the beginning of each term, by the deadline indicated on the invoice; fee payment is an essential condition for matriculating or renewing one's enrolment.
Bursaries granted by the Canton Ticino
Swiss students who have been residing in Ticino for at least two years (for foreign students, at least five years) may seek financial assistance from the Department of Education, Culture and Sport (Dipartimento dell'Educazione, della cultura e dello sport - DECS) of the Canton Ticino. The electronic version of the application form can be downloaded from the web page http://www4.ti.ch/decs/sa/uast/sportello/formulari-e-opuscoli/, whereas the hard copy is available at the main reception of the Lugano Faculties of USI.
The related web page provides information about private foundations active in Ticino: http://www4.ti.ch/decs/sa/uast/cosa-facciamo/fondazioni-private/ (in Italian only).
For further details, please contact the Student Financial Aid Office (Ufficio degli aiuti allo studio):
Piazza Governo 7
Tel. +41 91 814 34 32
Bursaries granted by other Swiss cantons
Students whose regular residence is in another Swiss canton are required to apply to the relevant bureau for study grants and scholarships.
Solidarity Scholarships 2020
With the aim of helping the students affected by the consequences of the COVID-19 emergency, USI has set up the Solidarity Scholarships Fund 2020. All applications must be submitted through the appropriate online form by July 31st, 2020. Priority will be given to applications received by July 15th, 2020. Documents that need to be uploaded during the application process: most recent transcript of records, student’s and parents’ income tax certificate for last year, motivation letter and, if that is the case, relevant certificate(s) proving that the family’s financial situation has changed significantly due to the pandemic.
Application form - Lugano Faculties
Application form - Academy
Bursaries granted by private foundations
- Foundation for the Lugano Faculties of the Università della Svizzera italiana
- 20 one-off scholarships of CHF 4'000 each to first-year Bachelor students who obtained their high-school degree and who at the moment of graduation had legal residence in the German- or French-speaking cantons of Switzerland. The aim is to increase the multilingual and multicultural diversity of our university. The study grant is awarded automatically once the matriculation procedure has been completed.
- 5 scholarships for students admitted to the first year of the Bachelor in Economics for the academic year 2020/2021.
- 5 scholarships for students admitted to the first year of the Bachelor in Communication Sciences for the academic year 2020/2021
- 5 scholarships for students admitted to the first year of the Bachelor in Informatics for the academic year 2020/2021
- 5 scholarships for each of the 3 years of study for students enrolled in the Bachelor in Italian language, literature and culture for the academic year 2020/2021
Call (in Italian only)
Application form (in Italian only)
- The Equal Opportunities Service of the Università della Svizzera italiana organises a contest for one scholarship worth CHF 4’000 for a female student admitted to the first year of the Bachelor in Informatics for the academic year 2020/2021.
- Private foundations for the Academy of Architecture
For scholarships granted by private foundations to Swiss and foreign students enrolled in the Academy of Architecture please refer to: http://www.arc.usi.ch/en/academy/borse-di-studio.
- Leonardo Foundation
Swiss and foreign students enrolled at the Università della Svizzera italiana can apply for a scholarship granted by the Leonardo Foundation. All applications must be submitted through the appropriate online form by October 31st, 2020. Documents that need to be uploaded during the application process: most recent transcript of records, student’s and parents’ income tax certificate for last year and motivation letter. In case the family’s financial situation has changed significantly due to COVID-19, the relevant certificate(s) will have to be attached as well.
- Sodeska Foundation
The Sodeska Foundation offers 5 scholarships worth CHF 4'000 each to Swiss students to support them in their academic studies at USI. Applications are to be submitted via e-mail by February 28th, 2021 (information sheet, in Italian only).
- Zonta Club Lugano Foundation
The Zonta Club Lugano Foundation, for the academic year 2020/2021, awards several scholarships to Swiss students or foreign students living in Ticino with a C residence permit who are attending a Bachelor's or a Master's Degree Programme. The application form together with the supporting documents has to be submitted to the Fondazione Zonta Club Lugano by October 31st, 2020 (competition announcement and application form).
- IBSA Foundation for scientific research
The IBSA Foundation for scientific research firmly believes in the broad and open frontiers of science, and that faith in the future is rooted in the building of solid foundations, which are based on education and scientific knowledge.
The IBSA Foundation for scientific research (www.ibsafoundation.org) offers every year scholarships for Bachelor students in medicine, studying at USI partner universities (University of Basel, ETH Zurich, University of Zurich).
Information (pdf, 276 Kb)
Call - in Italian (pdf, 20 Kb)
For further information, please contact: