Portrait

USI. Create freely,
act responsibly
.

 

Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) is one of the 12 certified public universities in Switzerland and member of swissuniversities. It is organised in five faculties and is active in several study and research areas, among which: architecture, communication sciences, computational science, data science, economics, health studies, humanities, informatics, law, medicine and biomedicine.

USI is a young and lively university, a hub of opportunity open to the world where students are offered a quality interdisciplinary education in which they can be fully engaged and take centre stage, and where our researchers can count on having the space to freely pursue their initiative.

3350 students and about 1000 professors and researchers, hailing from 99 countries, convene every day on the four campuses in Lugano, Mendrisio and Bellinzona. The relatively small size of the campuses encourages the free flow and open exchange of ideas. USI encourages faculty, students and researchers to develop their potential, and appreciates their curiosity and willingness to experiment with new ways of thinking, learning, teaching and working.

Established in 1996, USI is in constant evolution, always taking on new challenges while remaining true to its three guiding principles: quality, openness and responsibility.

 

USI at a glance  
Faculties   5
Academy of Architecture  
Faculty of Biomedical Sciences  
Faculty of Communication, Culture and Society   
Faculty of Economics  
Faculty of Informatics  
Students 3350
Graduates 10347
Academic staff 1008
    of which, professors and lecturers 366
Countries represented 99
   
Bachelors 6
Masters 24
Doctoral programmes 13
Advanced studies programmes 9
Teacher / student ratio 1/9
Graduates with employment 1 year from graduation 93,2%
   
Competitive research (annual average, M of CHF) 20,8
Institutes 24
Doctoral students 342
Active research projects 206
   
Start-ups supported 59
Budget (M of CHF) 104,5
Impact on the region CHF 3,2
for each CHF invested by the Canton