1. Bursaries granted by the Canton Ticino
Students having had resident status in Ticino for at least two years (for foreign students, at least five years) may seek financial assistance from the Department of Education, Culture and Sport (Dipartimento dell'Educazione, della cultura e dello sport - DECS) of the Canton Ticino.
The electronic version of the application form can be downloaded from the web page http://www4.ti.ch/decs/sa/uast/sportello/formulari-e-opuscoli/, whereas the hard copy is available at the main reception of the Lugano Faculties of USI.
The related web page provides information about private foundations active in Ticino:
(in Italian only) http://www4.ti.ch/decs/sa/uast/cosa-facciamo/fondazioni-private/
For further details, please contact the Student Financial Aid Office (Ufficio degli aiuti allo studio):
Tel. +41 91 814 34 32
2. Bursaries granted by other Swiss cantons
Students whose regular residence is in any other Swiss canton are required to apply to the relevant bureau for study grants and scholarships.
3. USI study grants
Swiss and foreign students seeking to apply for scholarships granted by the Faculties of the Università della Svizzera italiana, please refer to the following websites:
4. Bursaries granted by private foundations
- Fondazione per le Facoltà dell'USI
The Fondazione per le Facoltà di Lugano dell'Università della Svizzera italiana awards every year the following bursaries to Swiss and foreign students:
- 60 one-off study grants of CHF 4'000 each. The grants are merit-based and awarded to students admitted to the first year of a USI Master programme: the announcement and application form are published in January, whereas the application deadline is July 31st (announcement).
- 15 one-off study grants of CHF 4'000 each. The merit-based grants are awarded to students admitted to the second year of a USI Master (graduate level) programme. Priority is given to the best students having passed all first-year exams of each study programme. The bursary is granted automatically in November, in consideration of the September session exam results (announcement).
- Leonardo Foundation
Swiss and foreign students enrolled at the Università della Svizzera italiana can apply for a scholarship granted by the Leonardo Foundation. Applications (and renewals) are to be submitted by related form, downloadable here: (in Italian only) www4.ti.ch/decs/sa/uast/cosa-facciamo/fondazioni/
- Private foundations for the Academy of Architecture
For bursaries granted by private foundations to Swiss and foreign students please refer to: www.arc.usi.ch/en/academy/borse-di-studio
- Reginaldus Foundation
The Reginaldus Foundation awards several scholarships to deserving and needy students of the university campus of Lugano. These grants are aimed at students who intend to live in the Aristotle College, which offers not only board and lodging but also some academic activities. The scholarships cover the college fees, totally or partially, depending on applicants' merit and financial situation. The admission to the Aristotle College is based on the high school final grade, academic degrees earned, the transcript of records of the last two years of study and an admission interview.
For further information, please contact: email@example.com.
- SODESKA Foundation
The SODESKA Foundation offers 5 annual scholarships to Swiss students to support them in their academic studies at USI. Applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope, addressed to the Fondazione SODESKA, and handed in at the USI front desk by January 31st (information sheet, in Italian only).
- IBSA Foundation for scientific research
The IBSA Foundation for scientific research awards scholarships to students, which are planning to graduate their Master of Medicine at USI. The request and motivation letter including the final high school exam (Maturità) must be sent before the 31 August to the Faculty of Biomedical sciences.
Faculty of Economics, Communication Sciences and Informatics: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academy of Architecture: email@example.com