4th Report on Terrorism and Radicalism in Europe - #ReaCT2023
Institute of Communication and Public Policy
Date: 6 October 2023 / 17:30 - 19:00
A conference on "Terrorism and Extremism" will be held on Friday, 6 October 2023, at 5:30 pm in the West Campus Lugano Auditorium. The event is tied to the launch of the 4th Report on Terrorism and Radicalism in Europe #ReaCT2023, promoted by React Observatory on Radicalization and Counterterrorism and by Start InSight in collaboration with the Institute of Communication and Public Policy of Università della Svizzera italiana and the Platform for the Prevention of Radicalisation and Violent Extremism (Canton Ticino). There will be a session on "Terrorism and Extremism in Evolution" followed by a panel discussion on "Countering and Preventing Terrorism and Violent Extremism: Swiss and Italian Perspectives." The panel will include various institutional guests. The event will start with a video message from Hon. Norman Gobbi, Department of Institutions, Canton Ticino.
It has been over two decades since the 11 September 2001 attacks, which marked the beginning of a prolonged struggle against terrorism in various forms. Unfortunately, the threat has not diminished but has instead become more widespread, fragmented, and complex to tackle. In the Western world, violent extremism is now characterised by a range of ideologies, orientations, profiles, and motivations, often overlapping or unclear, making it difficult to assess the extent, predict the risk, and trace the evolution of the problem. To combat terrorism and prevent future acts of violence, it is necessary to have multidisciplinary collaboration and constant dialogue between different actors, including researchers, practitioners, law enforcement agencies, legislators, and civil society. With terrorism's adaptability and the "new normal" of radicalisation defining the current era, it is crucial to refresh our knowledge, approaches, and tools to address this issue effectively.
Speakers will include:
- Jean-Patrick Villeneuve, Director of the Institute of Communication and Public Policy, Università della Svizzera italiana
- Hon. Norman Gobbi, Department of Institutions, Canton Ticino (videomessage)
- Claudio Bertolotti, Director of the ReaCT Observatory, researcher
- Chiara Sulmoni, President of START InSight, journalist, analyst
- Marco Lombardi, Prof. and Director of ITSTIME research centre, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan
- Hon. Rocco Cattaneo, National Councillor, Security Policy Commission
- Martin von Muralt, Delegate of the Swiss Integrated Security Network
- Diego Parente, Central Director of Prevention Police, State Police (in liaison from Rome)
- Michela Trisconi, Project Manager, Cantonal Platform for the Prevention of Radicalisation and Violent Extremism
To register, please write to: [email protected]