West Campus Lugano
The West Campus Lugano – or West Campus – is located in Via Giuseppe Buffi 13, Lugano (Switzerland). It is home to USI central administration.
The campus is home to
- the Rectorate of the University;
- lecture rooms and offices for the academic staff of the Faculty of Communication, Culture and Society, the Faculty of Economics and the Lugano Faculty of Theology;
- event theaters (Auditorium, Aula magna);
- the Lugano university library.
The Lugano city centre and lakeside are within walking distance.
How to get there
- BY TRAIN
From Lugano railway station, you can reach the Lugano Campus by bus or on foot.
Take bus 6 (direction Cornaredo) from the square in front of the station. Alight at the “Università” stop (around 8-10 minutes’ ride in normal traffic conditions).
Walk to Piazza Cioccaro, in the centre of Lugano (see route on map), or take the funicular from inside the station.
Cross Piazza Cioccaro and take Via Soave, turn left onto Via Pessina and walk to Piazza Dante. Cross the piazza, turn left onto Via Pretorio, and walk until you reach the bus station. Pass the bus station and keep going straight along Corso Pestalozzi until you reach the entrance to a parking garage and a park gate (Parco Ciani), then turn left onto Via Lucchini, and walk straight along Via Lucchini and Via Lambertenghi until you reach the campus main building.
- BY CAR
A2 highway: take the Lugano Nord exit, follow signs to Lugano and go through the tunnel (Galleria Vedeggio-Cassarate). After the tunnel, go straight ahead, following signs for Lugano/Centro (Via Sonvico) until you reach the large crossroad by the stadium: turn left (Via Alla Bozzoreda) and, at the next traffic lights, take a right onto Via Ciani. Go straight along Via Ciani and, at the second traffic light, continue straight ahead (following signs for USI) on Viale Cassarate. Shortly after the traffic lights, you will see the entrance to the underground car park for the Lugano Campus on your right.
To reach the main building, go past the car park entrance and take the second right (Via Fusoni). Continue along this road and take the second right (Via Lambertenghi) until you come to the main building.
As parking alternative, there is the nearby multistory car park of the Lugano Ospedale Italiano (Hospital) that can be accessed by Via agli Orti.
- BY AIR
Map of the campus
- Main Building
- Black Building
- Auditorium / Mensa
- Red Building
- Lab / EOC
- East Campus Lugano
- Aula magna
- Blue Building
- L'ideatorio (Villa Saroli)
The West Campus Lugano is open from Monday to Friday from 07:00 to 19:00, and 24 / 7 for members of the academic community.
It is accessible to people with disabilities. Surrounded by gardens it also offers, among other things:
- a cafeteria;
- study areas equipped with computers, and with Internet access and printers;
- wireless connection throughout the campus;
- an ATM;
- a copy center;
- a bike sharing station.
Campus security is provided by the security service, and backed up by a video surveillance system.
Further information about the West Campus and its infrastructure is available on InfoDesk, the practical information portal for the academic community.
Information on buildings
The nucleus of the West Campus Lugano is an ancient neoclassical building – the Main Building – which originally housed the city hospital. With the growth of the University, new, modern buildings have risen around it.
The campus development has been possible thanks to the generosity of the Daccò Foundation and the USI Foundation for the Lugano Faculties, which are among the main supporters of our University. The campus has been designed following two main inspirations:
- plurality: the different architects tried to keep a balance between tradition and innovation, in perfect harmony with the true meaning of University, which is a dialogue between diversity, looking towards the same direction (uni-versitas);
- openness towards the community: all obstacles that separated the campus from the neighbouring area (such as walls, gates or hedges) were removed. A pathway of benches was built as to embrace Lugano, and to represent through its simple yet sincere concrete, a University that does not want to be an "Ivory Tower", but on the contrary looks forward to an open dialogue with the community.