Coronavirus: the measures taken by USI
Institutional Communication Service
As a precautionary measure to protect the academic community and the population from the Coronavirus epidemic (2019-nCoV virus), Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) has taken a series of measures in view of the beginning of the spring semester 2020. USI is monitoring the situation and will inform the academic community in case of updates by the Federal Office of Public Health.
Students at USI hail from over 100 countries, including the People's Republic of China (P.R.C.). As of today, Friday, February 7, 2020, and until further notice - and in line with several other Swiss universities - USI shall apply the following precautionary measures.
Provisions for those returning to Switzerland from P.R.C. for the new semester
- USI requires all members of the academic community returning to Switzerland from P.R.C., including students, to work/study from home for a period of 14 days.
- The 14-day count begins on the day you arrive in Switzerland.
- Students affected by these precautionary measures must inform the Dean's Office of their Faculty immediately (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org) and may ask for support to keep up to date with courses.
- Staff members and researchers affected by precautionary measures must immediately inform their supervisor and must work from home to continue their job (home office).
- If you develop symptoms of a respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath), stay at home and contact immediately - by telephone first - a doctor or health care institution.
Travel to the P.R.C.
USI strongly discourages travel to the P.R.C. The above-mentioned provisions shall apply to those who have traveled to China and have returned to Switzerland.
Monitoring and other information
USI invites everyone to read carefully and to strictly abide by the indications updated in real-time by the Federal Office of Public Health - available online at www.bag.admin.ch - and thanks all members of the academic community for their collaboration.
Coronavirus infolines of the Federal Office of Public Health (daily from 8 am to 6 pm)
- For the public: 058 463 00 00
- For travellers: 058 464 44 88