COVID-19, from Monday general shift to online teaching
Institutional Communication Service
2 November 2020
On October 28, 2020, the Federal government announced that, starting Monday, November 2, all univerisities in Switzerland shall no longer be allowed to give lessons in attendance. Exceptions for certain specific training activities are foreseen. USI had considered this option in June, and has therefore been prepared to shift to online mode as required by the authorities.
The decision of the Federal government is part of a series of measures aimed at containing the epidemic (click here for more information), which in recent weeks has increased significantly all over the country.
Starting from Monday, November 2nd:
- as a general rule, all classroom courses will be shifted entirely online
- lessons will be held according to the time schedule and all detailed information will be available on the iCorsi platform
- a number of specific training activities in attendance will be permitted for certain learning situations with a limited number of students or of particular relevance within individual programmes. Those directly concerned will be contacted by the respective Faculty Deans.
Will the campuses be closed?
No, campuses shall not be closed. They will be accessible to the academic community, as they are now, with the personal access badge. The libraries, and the study areas listed in the Protection Provisions will also remain accessible. The Lugano Campus cafeteria, on the other hand, will unfortunately be forced to close.
Please remember that in all common indoor spaces - including study areas and open spaces - there is an obligation to wear a protective mask! Masks must also be worn in other spaces and outdoors when the safety distance of 1,5 m between individuals cannot be kept.
Can events still be organised?
It is still possible in compliance with what is foreseen in the Protection Provisions.
However, we invite you to pay special attention to the following:
- on 9 November 2020, the Cantonal government has decided that events can be organised with a maximum of 5 participants;
- protective masks shall be worn at all times during events;
- contact details must be collected.
For details, please refer to the Protection Provisions.
Will staff and services remain operational?
The university staff and services are and will remain operational, in partial or full-online mode. More information is available online >> "USI Staff. Open, in a different way”: www.usi.ch/en/feeds/13081
Is working from home possible?
Working from home, an option that has been reintroduced will be further encouraged, by agreement with the respective line managers.