A street dedicated to Giorgio Salvadè at the USI-SUPSI East Campus
Institutional Communication Service
2 May 2023
More than a decade after his death, the Lugano City Hall has decided to name a street in the city after Giorgio Salvadè as a tribute to the establishment of Università della Svizzera italiana.
The Street Advisory Commission has forewarned in favour of the dedication, specifying that the street that will potentially be named after the City's physician and municipal official will be the one that connects Via la Santa with Via Merlina, near the USI-SUPSI East Campus.
A deputy chief of medicine at Lugano's Ospedale italiano, Giorgio Salvadè (1949-2012) was elected to Lugano City Hall in April 1992 in the ranks of the Lega dei Ticinesi party during a historic vote for Giuliano Bignasca's newborn movement. Salvadè, who wished for a post in the Health Department, was entrusted instead with the Cultural Activities Department. In that capacity, also spurred by the example of the recent Institute of Theology founded by Bishop Eugenio Corecco, he immediately promoted the projects that led between the spring of 1993 and the winter of 1995 to the establishment of the Lugano Faculty Foundation, endowed by the Municipality with 9 million francs, on which the management of the two faculties of Economics and Communication Sciences depended. A municipal councillor until 2000 and later a member of the Ticino Grand Council for the same party, he actively participated in the development of USI in its early years. He died early due to illness in the summer of 2012.