SNSF Extension of employment periods for PhD and Postdocs
Research and Transfer Service
23 February 2016
In accordance with the new Funding Regulation and Implementation Regulation of the SNSF entered into force the 1st of January 2016, the employment periods for doctoral students and postdocs may be extended as follows.
The maximum period of employment funded by the SNSF is 4 years for doctoral student and 5 years for postdocs. The relevant start date for calculating the duration is the day of registration for doctoral studies, respectively the date of the viva voce (/official acceptance of the thesis) for postdocs.
Upon request, the start date may be postponed by at the most 1 year for the following reasons:
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or parental leave;
- Inability to work due to illness or accident;
- Care duties;
- Services that benefit the general public, particularly military or civilian service;
- Continuing education, particularly internships and clinical work;
- Compulsory participation in a doctoral school before starting work on the doctoral thesis.
The expansion of the time window in accordance with this provision does not in any way affect the maximum funding period for doctoral students and postdocs (exceptions in case of maternity, adoption, illness, accident and military or other services).
For more information, please contact Dr. Benedetto Lepori.