How to apply at USI to ERC grants
ERC Starting and Consolidator Grants are funding schemes of the European Commission aimed at supporting ground-breaking projects from excellent researchers.
Candidates must submit their application to the ERC yearly calls and will be evaluated with regards to their personal profile and to the submitted project based on their scientific excellence.
Five-year grants are awarded to researchers who fulfil the following criteria:
- Starting Grant (StG): for researchers 2-7 years post PhD, with an outstanding early achievements track record of up to 5 publications in major international peer-reviewed journals of their respective research fields;
- Consolidator Grant (CoG): for researchers 7-12 years post PhD, with an outstanding early achievements track record of up to 10 publications in major international peer-reviewed journals of their respective research fields;
- Have firm ambitions to pursue an academic career;
- Demonstrate interest in scientific domains represented at USI.
For external ERC candidates and internal USI researchers without a professorship position, the following internal evaluation process is in force:
Potential candidates fulfilling the above requirements should send the following documents to the Research and Transfer Service:
- A complete CV including publication list;
- A statement of their interest for USI, indicating their specific research interests, how they fit into USI scientific profile, and identifiy the host institute in which they expect to be integrated.
Applications will be first subject to a formal verification of the criteria and of the match with USI scientific profile, then candidates are invited for an online interview. The support decision is taken by the USI rectorate.
Should a positive support decision be reached, the applicants will receive the support to apply to the ERC grant with USI as their Host Institution.
Internal deadline for submitting applications:
- ERC Starting Grants: 12 November 2021 (ERC StG tentative deadline: 13 January 2022).
- ERC Consolidator Grants: 17 January 2022 (ERC CoG tentative deadline: 17 March 2022).