Expand All

  • Do you offer these degrees as part-time studies as well?

    All our Master's programmes are full time, attendance to interactive teaching activities included in the curriculum – such as seminars, laboratories and ateliers – is mandatory. Teachers who request students to attend their lessons as a requirement for admission to the exam will inform students at the beginning of the semester.

  • Is it possible to work besides studying?

    The residence permit for study purposes does not grant students automatic entitlement to paid employment. Therefore, foreign students enrolled in an academic degree programme at a university in Switzerland are required to obtain specific authorisation from the competent authorities before they engage in paid employment (no authorization will be granted to Croatian and non-EU/non-EFTA students in the first 6 months from the issuance of the permit). The maximum permitted workload is 15 hours per week.
    To proceed with the notification students must follow the online procedure: https://www4.ti.ch/di/home-sp/servizi-online/permessi-per-stranieri/dimora-b/ (click on Notifica inizio attività studenti).

  • Do you offer distance learning/e-learning programmes or is there any way to allow me to enroll without attending full time?

    All our Master programmes are full time and taught on campus. We do not offer distance learning.

  • Are the degrees issued by USI recognised internationally?

    Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) is a recognised or accredited Swiss university. Academic qualifications obtained at USI Faculties are therefore also recognised abroad, on the basis of international conventions.

    1. The mutual recognition of academic qualifications, i.e. the diplomas awarded by universities and universities of applied sciences, that enables students to continue with their studies is governed by the Lisbon Convention of 11 April 1997 and other international conventions with Germany, Italy, Austria and France.
      With regard to relations with ITALY, in particular:
      Accordo tra il Governo della Repubblica Italiana ed il Consiglio Federale Svizzero sul reciproco riconoscimento delle equivalenze nel settore universitario. (Agreement between the Government the Italian Republic and the Swiss Federal Council on the mutual recognition of academic qualifications)
      The agreement establishes the principle of equal treatment of Italian and Swiss students. Mutual recognition applies to university degrees and diplomas, exam performance and the equivalence of study periods, taking into account the ECTS credits system. Degrees awarded by a university that authorises the holder to continue his/her studies or to undertake the next course of studies at a university in one of the two Contracting States, without additional examinations, shall confer the same right in the other Contracting State.
      In addition, the holder of a degree awarded by a university in one of the two Contracting States shall be entitled to make use of that degree in the other State in the form provided for by the legislation of the State in which it was awarded.
      Professional rights shall not be directly linked to the right to make use of a university degree.
    2. The recognition of the professional qualifications of Swiss and EU/EFTA nationals wishing to pursue a regulated profession is governed by the Agreement on the free movement of persons and the EFTA Convention.
      With regard to accessing professional practice in Italy for those who have obtained their university degree at USI, paragraph 1 letter d) of Presidential Decree 189/2009 applies, according to which it is required to submit the documents indicated in the Presidential Decree to the professional association, which, in turn, transmits them to the MIUR (Ministero dell'Università e della Ricerca) which recognizes the validity of the foreign qualification for access to professional practice.

    Useful links:
    Procedures for the recognition of foreign qualifications in Italy (http://www.cimea.it/en)
    Procedures for the certification of the authenticity of USI diplomas (In Italian only) (https://www4.ti.ch/decs/dcsu/ucsu)
    Information on the recognition of foreign qualifications and competent recognition authorities in Switzerland  (https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/home/education/recognition-of-foreign-qualifications/recognition-procedure-on-establishment/agencies-responsible-for-the-recognition-of-foreign-qualificatio.html)
    Recognised or accredited Swiss universities (www.swissuniversities.ch)

  • I have not yet graduated, can I apply?

    It is possible to send the application if you are still studying for your Bachelor, but your final admission will be subjected to some conditions.
    You should pass all your exams by September and discuss your final paper by the date indicated by the Dean's Office during admission.
    Please specify when you plan to discuss the final paper in your application.

  • Is the GRE/GMAT test required for admission?

    The GRE/GMAT test is compulsory for applicants to the Master in Finance with a Bachelor obtained in a non-EU/non-EFTA country.
    The test is not mandatory for all other candidates but can be considered to support the application for the aforementioned Master.

  • Do I need a VISA and/or residence permit before applying for a programme at USI?


    Generally speaking, students from EU / EFTA countries do not need a visa to enter Switzerland. Students from non-EU/non-EFTA countries must request a student visa from the Swiss embassy or consulate in their home country before entering Switzerland. Please note that a tourist visa is only valid for three months and cannot be exchanged for a residence permit after Switzerland's arrival. 

    All the necessary forms are available at the Swiss embassies and consulates. To start this process, candidates must own an admission letter from the Università della Svizzera italiana. It is recommended that students from non-EU/non-EFTA countries apply for admission as early as possible. Students will receive their visa to enter Switzerland only at the end of the process. 

    Students need to apply for the student visa independently and in due time. The visa procedure may take one to four months, depending on the residence country. For more information on entry visas for students from non-EU/non-EFTA countries, please refer to the federal office for migration, Switzerland's representatives abroad or the cantonal authorities.


    All international students moving to and residing in Switzerland during their studies must submit an application for the residence permit after the enrolment confirmation letter issued from the Faculty Dean’s office, see www.usi.ch/en/education/master/organising-your-studies.

  • Will there be an admission test?

    No, there are no admission tests; a candidate's application dossier determines admission.

  • Should I send a 'Euro pass' Curriculum Vitae or do you accept other formats?

    We accept Curriculum Vitae (resumé) in any format.

  • How do I write a good application letter?

    In the motivation letter, you should explain in detail:

    • Where your interest in the Master comes from,
    • Which area of the Master interests you more,
    • What are your professional expectations?
    • etc.
  • Is it possible to apply for more than one programme in the same application form?

    You can apply to up to two programmes in one application form. Please mark your first and second choice.

  • For the application dossier, do my documents have to be notarised with an apostille?

    For the application a simple photocopy of the documents is sufficient, whereas for the enrolment students need to provide the documents notarised with an apostille.

  • Do I have to pay the registration fee? If so, how much is it and when do I have to pay for it?

    Subject to the registration fee payment are candidates whose Bachelor's degree was completed in countries outside the Lisbon Convention (see the list on https://application.usi.ch). These students are invited to pay an application fee of SFr. 100 accounting for the higher administrative costs of processing more complex files. Payment is made by credit card before confirming the registration.
    If the candidate is admitted, the fee will be deducted from the first semester's tuition fee. The administrative fee is not refundable in other cases: if admission is not granted, if the candidate decides to withdraw or if he or she fails to enrol. 

  • Do you offer a spring semester intake?

    Some of our programmes offer an intake for the Spring Semester (if places are available).

    In the A.Y. 2024/25 the programmes accepting applications for the Spring intake, in accordance with the number of seats available, are:

    • Bachelor in
      • Comunicazione
      • Lingua, letteratura e civiltà italiana
      • Theology
      • Filosofia
    • Master in
      • Architecture*
      • History and Theory of Art and Architecture
      • Lingua, letteratura e civiltà italiana
      • Theology
      • Diritto canonico ed ecclesiastico comparato
      • Philosophy
      • International Tourism
      • Media Management
      • Management*
      • Public Management and Policy
      • Informatics
      • Computational Science

    *upon certain conditions, please check the programme website

    Spring Semester 2025 (February)

    • Applications will be accepted starting from 16 September 2024.
      The application deadline is 15 January 2025.
      The application deadline for candidates who need a visa is 1 November 2024.
  • I am studying for a Bachelor taught entirely in English. Do I need language certification as well?

    No, if your Bachelor degree is being taught in English, you do not need any to submit any official language certification.

  • I do not have an English certificate yet, can I apply?

    The candidate should include the language certification in the application package. Exceptions will be made for those who can prove cancellation of international certificates exam sessions.
    Please specify when you will provide the English certificate: note that the Dean's Office will only send the admission letter upon receipt of the English certificate.

  • I have an English B2 level certificate, but it is not mentioned on the website. Will it be considered valid for admission?

    No, we only accept applications with official certificates such as IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge and TOEIC.
    Please see www.usi.ch/en/education/master/admission for information about the scores. 


Cinema and Audiovisual Futures Conference 2024

Faculty of Communication, Culture and Society

The Future of Survival Public Event: AI and Generative humanity

Faculty of Communication, Culture and Society

The Future of Survival Public Event: Digital Migrations

Faculty of Communication, Culture and Society