About the Summer School in Social Science Methods
The Summer School is organized by the Università della Svizzera italiana in close cooperation with FORS, the Swiss Foundation for social science research. It offers every year several full-time workshops in two weekly sessions (second half of August).
Participants are Ph.D. students, junior and senior researchers and practitioners, from Switzerland and other different countries working in a wide range of scientific disciplines: Psychology, Educational, Business Studies, Communication, Political Science, Sociology, Health Sciences, and many others.
All workshops are oriented towards practical applications and spend roughly half of their time on applied work and exercises. There is ample time to discuss and try to solve problems related to the work and research projects of the participants with instructors and fellow participants. Whenever possible participants are strongly encouraged to work on their own data and research problems to get the most out of the Summer School experience.
Instructors are renowned specialists, experienced and enthusiastic teachers in their respective fields, and they will organize their courses in order to optimize opportunities for help and advice during the workshops.
Why should you attend the Summer School in Social Sciences Methods?
Methodology is the corner stone of good scientific practice and a sound training in methodology will be essential for your professional future.
The various workshops answer different needs you encounter during your studies and career:
- If you need to acquire new or other tools and approaches not covered during your formal training;
- If you start working on a PhD project or get a job as (research) assistant or collaborator within academia or outside;
- If you are an experienced researcher and you need to acquire new techniques and additional skills.
Reasons to attend this Summer School:
- Intensive one-week workshops;
- Oriented towards real practical applications;
- Highly qualified instructors, experts in their field and open to discuss your research problems;
- Small groups of highly motivated participants with different backgrounds and research areas;
- Last but not least: the location.
According to the evaluations sent-in by the participants, the Summer School in Social Sciences Methods experience is highly appreciated: the quality of the courses, the exchange between participants and instructors and among fellow participants, the possibility to meet new colleagues (and often new friends), as well as the location.
Programmes of previous Summer Schools
Although the programme varies from year to year, successful workshops are repeated every second or third year; a few are offered every year. Earlier Summer School programmes will give you a general idea of how future Summer School programmes might look like.
Below you will find links to the programmes of the previous Summer Schools:
- 25th Summer School Lugano, 2021
- 24th Summer School Lugano, 2020
- 23th Summer School Lugano 2019
- 22th Summer School Lugano 2018
- 21th Summer School Lugano 2017
- 20th Summer School Lugano 2016
- 19th Summer School Lugano 2015
- 18th Summer School Lugano 2014
- 17th Summer School Lugano 2013
- 16th Summer School Lugano 2012
- 15th Summer School Lugano 2011
- 14th Summer School Lugano 2010
- 13th Summer School Lugano 2009
- 12th Summer School Lugano 2008
- 11th Summer School Lugano 2007
- 10th Summer School Lugano 2006
- 9th Summer School Lugano 2005
- 8th Summer School Lugano 2004
- 7th Summer School Lugano 2003
- 6th Summer School Lugano 2002
- 5th Summer School Lugano 2001
- 4th Summer School Lugano 2000
- 3rd Summer School Neuchâtel 1999
- 2nd Summer School Lugano 1998
- 1st Summer School Geneva 1997