The academic programme for the 28th edition of the Summer School will be confirmed by mid-January 2024 and will be published here. In the meantime, you can see the 2023 programme for information only.
Subscribe to our Newsletter to learn about new courses and Summer School events!
Registration: Registrations for the 28th edition of the Summer School will open in January 2024.
|Preliminary Workshops||Modality||No. of Places still available||Confirmed||Status||Room|
|10-11 August 2023|
|P. Gruber||Introduction to R and Rstudio||Online||0/32||✓||FULL||n/a|
|O. Lipps/ U. Kuhn||Introduction to Stata||Online||0/25||✓||FULL||n/a|
|10-12 August 2023|
|E. Horber||Statistics with SPSS for Social Scientists||Online||0/27||✓||FULL||n/a|
|11-12 August 2023|
|S. Kernbach||Visual Thinking for PhD Researchers||In presence||0/18||✓||FULL||Room A21, Red Building|
|14-18 August 2023|
|E. Horber||Multivariate Methods for Social Researchers||In presence||10/27||✓||OPEN||
Room 156 (Computer Lab), Main Building
and Room A11, Red Building
|S. Kernbach||Design Thinking for Research||In presence||6/18||✓||OPEN||Room A21, Red Building|
|J. Drzewiecka||Qualitative Analyses of Interview Data||In presence||0/23||✓||FULL||Room A31, Red Building|
|E. Davidov/ P. Schmidt||Introduction to Structural Equation Modeling (SEM)||Online||8/25||✓||OPEN||n/a|
|M. Grätz||Causal Analysis with Cross-sectional Data||In presence||1/17||✓||OPEN||
Room 159 (Computer Lab), Main Building
and Room A12, Red Building
|M. Steenbergen||Machine Learning - What Is It Good For?||In presence||12/27||✓||OPEN||Room SI-007, Black Building|
|T. Hills||Using Social Network Analysis to Understand Data||In presence||2/14||✓||OPEN||Room A22, Red Building|
|M. Bergman||Mixed Methods||In presence||6/20||✓||OPEN||Room SI-006, Black Building|
|L. Balachandran Nair||Conducting a Grounded Theory Study||In presence||7/16||✓||OPEN||Room SI-003, Black Building|
|21-25 August 2023|
|M. Gibbert||Qualitative Research Designs||In presence||0/16||✓||FULL||Room SI-015, Black Building|
|B. Lepori/ A. Rocci||How to Forge Arguments in Writing (Social Sciences) Scientific Papers||In presence||11/27||✓||OPEN||Room SI-007, Black Building|
|R. Samuel||Creating Groups from Data. Cluster Analysis and Latent Class Analysis||In presence||12/27||✓||OPEN||Room SI-006, Black Building|
|K. O'Reilly||Ethnographic methods||In presence||0/17||✓||FULL||Room A21, Red Building|
|P. Mello||Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA)||In presence||10/27||✓||OPEN||Room A11, Red Building|
|T. Hills||Content Analysis and Natural Language Processing||Online||0/16||✓||FULL||n/a|
|V. Mottier||Discourse Theory and Analysis||In presence||1/18||✓||OPEN||Room SI-013, Black Building|
|O. Lipps/ U. Kuhn||Applied Panel Data Analysis||In presence||0/25||✓||FULL||Room SI-003 (Black Building)|
|L. Walasek||Web Scraping and Data Mining in R||In presence||4/17||✓||OPEN||
Room SI-004, Black Building
- Note that many workshops have some prerequisites.
- Note that Preliminary workshops have different starting dates.
- All workshops are subject to cancellation until June 16th if there are fewer than 8 (paid) registrations.
The "Confirmed" column shows a tick mark (✔ ) as soon as the corresponding workshop has reached that threshold.
- The workshop application status is based on the number of persons who have applied for a workshop, i.e. conditional applications. Only the payment of the registration fee within three weeks from reception of the invoice confirms the application and makes the registration final.
- If a workshop is marked "Full", it does not necessarily mean that the workshop is confirmed and the minimum number of confirmed participants has been reached; this is particularly true the first few weeks (late January, February) after registration opens. Prospective participants register quickly, but sometimes change plans, cannot raise funds to attend Summer School etc.
- The status will change from "Open" to "Full", if only a few places are left.
Please note that the status may change back to "Open" if registrations are cancelled by the registrant or by us (no payment received despite a reminder e-mail).