All students who obtained a Bachelor degree at an acknowledged university in communication, human and social sciences.
Candidates with a Bachelor's degree from a University of Applied sciences may be admitted with an additional requirement of 30-60 ECTS to be earned:
- By attending in person, during the Master’s studies, a selection of our Bachelor’s courses and taking the exams during the regular sessions. The credits have to be earned before the end of the third semester. The courses are to be defined by the Master’s academic director.
- By self-studying a selection of our Bachelor’s courses. In this case, the instructors of the assigned courses provide specific readings. Exams are organized when the student is ready. The courses are defined by the Master’s academic director. The reading and the evaluation are in English. This option is very flexible: it allows for an optimal programming of the workload during the studies and it also allows the process to be started before the beginning of the Master’s programme. The credits have to be earned before the end of the third semester.
- By attending Bachelor's courses at another recognised University prior to starting the Master’s studies. The university and the list of courses to attend have to be agreed with the Director of the Master’s.
Please check the language requirements below.
Admission to the A.Y. 2024/25
Admission to English-language Master programmes at USI requires a good command of English. Non-native English speakers applying to the Master’s or whose previous degree was obtained in another language are required to provide an internationally acknowledged language certificate equal to the B2+ level as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Language Learning (CEFR) or equivalent (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.).
The B2+ level on the CEFR corresponds to the following scores in internationally acknowledged exams:
Score IELTS 6.5 TOEFL Internet-based: 85 Cambridge English First grade B TOEIC Listening & Reading: 860
- The language certificate must be included in the application package.
- We only accept the above English qualifications (IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge English, TOEIC).
- The certificate must still be valid at the point of the application. We generally cannot accept language test results older than three years as of September 1st.
- Certificates obtained by passing the IELTS Academic Online or TOEFL iBT Home Edition tests may also be submitted for admission to the programme.
As Lugano is located in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, students might be interested in acquiring the basics in Italian.
The Università della Svizzera italiana offers a free of charge Italian language course: further information can be found here.