Professional Mentoring Programme
In collaboration with the Equal Opportunities Service and the BPW (Business Professional Women) association, and in coordination with the Master's Degree Directors, a professional mentoring programme has been offered since the autumn semester of 2020/2021 for female students for the Master's degree courses, with the aim of facilitating USI undergraduates' entry into the world of work, address the challenges that they will encounter in their professional and personal lives and find a good work-life balance through targeted and individual professional counselling.
Professional Mentoring is carried out over 6 months, from January to June 2023, by a selected group of female professionals (Mentors) belonging to the BPW network who, voluntarily, offer professional counselling to 2nd year female Master's students at USI (Mentee) on the basis of an individual matching (Mentor/Mentee).
You can check here the list of the companies and sectors of the BPW Mentors.
Participation requirements for Professional Mentoring:
In order to participate in the Professional Mentoring programme as a Mentee, one must meet the following requirements:
- Be female students
- Be regularly enrolled in a USI Master's programme at the time of application for the Professional Mentoring programme
- Motivation to commit to professional mentoring
Enrolment and admission:
To enroll, all female students meeting the above criteria may:
- Fill in the appropriate form attaching your CV and a motivation letter
- Fill in the online form that will be sent by the Career Service
-> The selection of students admitted as Mentees will be made in concert with the relevant Master's Degree Director contingent on the number of available places.
-> The selected students will be notified by the Career Service and invited to attend a Kick-off Meeting with BPW Mentors on 1st December, 2022.
-> Matching of the Mentee with the Mentor will be carried out by BPW.
Mentees List 2022/23: USI_BPW Mentees List
Professional Mentoring Programme presentation
What it is:
The Professional Mentoring activity consists of a beneficial exchange between two people defined as:
- A professionally experienced person (Mentor, BPW member) and
- A less experienced person (Mentee, USI student)
The professional development of the mentee benefits from the exchange with the mentor. In turn, the mentor’s personal experience is also enriched by this precious exchange.
Possible topics covered during the Professional Mentoring:
- The first steps to be taken to start a career
- The best way to prepare for the start of a professional activity
- Moving in a male dominated industry
- Negotiating salary and conditions
- Reconciling family and professional commitments
How the Professional Mentoring works:
- Mentoring lasts 6 months. Attendance is scheduled according to the mentor and mentee’s needs (usually 4-5 meetings, virtual or in presence).
- The mentoring programme is voluntary. Interruption of the programme is possible only if motivated by both parties.
- The mentoring process ends with a final report written by the mentee.
BPW Professional Mentoring: Edition 2021/2022
BPW Professional Mentoring: Edition 2020/2021
Mentees Video Interview: