Professional Mentoring Programme
In collaboration with the BPW - Business Professional Women association and in coordination with the Equal opportunities Service and the Master's Degree Directors, a professional mentoring programme has been offered since the academic year 2020/2021 for students for the Master's degree courses, with the aim of facilitating USI undergraduates' entry into the world of work, address the challenges that they will encounter in their professional and personal lives and find a good work-life balance through targeted and individual professional counselling.
Professional Mentoring is carried out over 6 months, from January to June 2024, by a selected group of professionals (Mentors) belonging to the BPW network who, voluntarily, offer professional counselling to Master and PhD students at USI (Mentee) on the basis of an individual matching (Mentor/Mentee).
-> SAVE THE DATE: Register to the Informative Session, held on Thursday 19 October 2023
The registration will open starting from Mid-October 2023
Participation requirements for Professional Mentoring:
In order to participate in the Professional Mentoring programme as a Mentee, one must meet the following requirements:
- Be regularly enrolled in a USI Master or PhD programme at the time of application for the Professional Mentoring programme
- Motivation to commit to professional mentoring
- Female students will have priority
Enrolment and admission:
To enroll, students meeting the above criteria may:
- Fill in the appropriate form attaching your CV and a motivation letter
- Fill in the online form that will be sent by the Career Service
-> The selection of students admitted as Mentees will be made in concert with the relevant Master's Degree Director contingent on the number of available places.
-> The selected students will be notified by the Career Service and invited to attend a Kick-off Meeting with BPW Mentors.
-> Matching of the Mentee with the Mentor will be carried out by BPW.
Professional Mentoring Programme presentation
What it is:
The Professional Mentoring activity consists of a beneficial exchange between two people defined as:
- A professionally experienced person (Mentor, BPW member) and
- A less experienced person (Mentee, USI student)
The professional development of the mentee benefits from the exchange with the mentor. In turn, the mentor’s personal experience is also enriched by this precious exchange.
Possible topics covered during the Professional Mentoring:
- The first steps to be taken to start a career
- The best way to prepare for the start of a professional activity
- Moving in a male dominated industry
- Negotiating salary and conditions
- Reconciling family and professional commitments
How the Professional Mentoring works:
- Mentoring lasts 6 months. Attendance is scheduled according to the mentor and mentee’s needs (usually 4-5 meetings, virtual or in presence).
- The mentoring programme is voluntary. Interruption of the programme is possible only if motivated by both parties.
- The mentoring process ends with a final report written by the mentee.
BPW Professional Mentoring: Edition 2022/2023
- Mentees List
- Mentors List (Companies/Sector)
- Professional Mentoring USI/BPW: Kick-off Meeting
- Professional Mentoring USI/BPW: Final Meeting
- The experience of Shahzard Ajoudani, USI Mentee 2020, mechatronics engineer with a Master's degree in Artificial Intelligence from USI: "When art meets artificial intelligence"
- The experience of Martina Di Paoloantonio, USI Mentee 2022, student of the Master in European Studies in Investor Relations and Financial Communication (ESIR) and Patrizia Keiser, BPW Mentor: Testimony Professional Mentoring USI-BPW
BPW Professional Mentoring: Edition 2021/2022
BPW Professional Mentoring: Edition 2020/2021
Mentees Video Interview: