eLab - eLearning Lab
eLab aims to improve the quality of teaching at USI through the integration of digital technologies. To this end, eLab provides USI faculties, departments, institutes, professors and staff with the necessary infrastructure and support services. The lab also offers its expertise for collaborations with other institutions.
The services offered by eLab to USI's academic community are divided into three main directions:
- Support: eLab offers a technical and pedagogical support service for the use of ICT and their effective and efficient integration in USI's teaching activities.
- Tools: eLab manages the online platform iCorsi3, which can be used to manage and share teaching materials, for communication between teachers and students, and to manage assessments. In addition to this, eLab offers other tools to support teaching activities at USI, such as: an ePortfolio platform, anti-plagiarism software (Turnitin), software that allows students to take online exams in a secure way (SEB - Safe Exam Browser), and others.
- Training: eLab regularly organises seminars for USI lecturers and assistants on the use of the iCorsi3 platform and of the other teaching tools; every year, eLab also organises the "Academic teaching" course for PhD students.
Two new publications
Two scientific contributions by eLab members have recently been published:
- S. Tardini & L. Cantoni (2021), Tecnologie digitali e insegnamento a distanza: riflessioni sull’eLearning in tempo di pandemia, «Veritas et Jus», 22, pp. 81-93.
- S. Tardini & G. Mora (2022), Online Education for the Humanities: the Case of two MOOCs in Literature and Architecture, in S. De Ascaniis & L. Cantoni (eds), Handbook on Heritage, Sustainable Tourism and Digital Media, Edward Elgar Publishing, XXX 2022, pp. XXX-XXX.
eLab proposes to the USI community a new tool to make their presentations more effective and interactive: Wooclap, an online platform that allows you to interact with your audience through different types of events and activities (questionnaires, surveys, closed or open questions, etc.). Wooclap is also integrated into iCorsi.
For more information on how to use Wooclap: https://faq.icorsi.ch/tag/wooclap?lang=en
eLab aims to help USI lecturers and assistants integrate digital technologies into their teaching activities in a fruitful and effective way, keeping the focus not on technologies, which are constantly being updated, but on learning and the people who learn: the "e" in front of the word "learning" is intended to imply that technologies are at the service of learning and not vice versa!