Isabelle Dublin, Corporate Communication Officer, Banque Pictet & Cie
13 Gennaio 2020
Diversi nostri laureati per aiutare gli attuali studenti e neolaureati ad orientarsi nel mondo del lavoro, hanno condiviso la storia della loro carriera. Ecco la storia di Isabelle Dublin, Corporate Communication Officer in Banque Pictet & Cie a Zurigo (CH). USI Degree: Master in Corporate Communication, 2015.
Come hai iniziato la tua carriera?
Shortly after graduating form USI in November 2015 and after a half-year intermezzo at a communications agency in Bern, I got a job in media relations at the Zurich office of Genevan private bank Pictet. Two years later I was promoted to corporate communications officer.
Perché hai scelto di lavorare presso la Banque Pictet & Cie?
- Pictet, the 3rd largest bank in Switzerland in terms of assets under management, is a great employer and has a very low staff turnover. If you are ambitious, there are many talent programs and internal training you can do to build your career.
- Banking and finance is a huge and important sector in Switzerland, with many opportunities. Because the sector is struggling with a lack of gender diversity, there are nowadays a lot of opportunities for female candidates.
In cosa consiste il tuo ruolo?
My tasks are very diverse and include social media community management, PR & media relations, internal communication, marketing communications along with the marketing teams for Pictet Asset Management and Pictet Wealth Management, media monitoring.
Quali sono, a tuo parere, le qualità necessarie per fare carriera in Banque Pictet & Cie?
- At Pictet, as in most other companies I guess, social skills and interpersonal relations are important.
- Pictet was founded in 1805 and is nicknamed a «214-year old start-up». The processes are not set in stone like one could imagine would be the case at big banks like UBS. Entrepreneurial spirit is one of the Group’s values and speaks for itself: you are welcome to take initiatives, to make suggestions, to be entrepreneurial.
- I was new to the banking sector so I had a lot of knowledge to catch up on. Through my employer, I was able to follow a course in Private Banking that gave me very useful knowledge about banking, investments, the financial sector itself, its laws and regulations, etc. in order to understand the daily business and the bank’s business model.
Quali sono secondo te le caratteristiche/gli aspetti positivi dell'USI?
- The USI structure educates you to be independent and prepares you well for the professional world.
- It’s a yound university with a modern study offering adapted to the trends shaping today’s world.
Quali competenze e/o capacità acquisite durante il tuo percorso di studi all’USI sono risultate utili nella tua carriera professionale?
Courses such as investor relations but also electives like the media relations course were particularly relevant to me, but the entire program (incl. the capstone project and the thesis) was excellent and provided a complete and in-depth knowledge.
Cosa potresti suggerire ad un neolaureato USI che deve entrare nel mondo del lavoro?
- Say “yes” to new opportunities, even if it’s in an industry you are not familiar with. It should not stop you. You can always take courses and acquire the necessary knowledge. Being from a different background can even be an advantage because it brings a fresh perspective and “out of the box-thinking”. There are many interesting opportunities at the crossroads of finance and communication out there.
- Be brave, be courageous. Go the extra-mile, go to staff events, workshops, and seize all the networking opportunities you can. Look for relevant job or industry associations in your town to get some additional insights and expand your social circle.
- If possible, look out for a mentor that will coach you.
- Take your job seriously, don’t take yourself too seriously.